The roots of LaGrange Bible Church go back to missionary work done by Swedish churches in Western Springs and Berwyn in the first decade of the twentieth century. On January 30, 1906, a group of nineteen residents met and decided to form a church under the Evangelical Mission Covenant denomination. The church was named the Swedish Evangelical Mission Church and met in various halls in the area. The first official meeting of the church was on April 15, 1906, with Rev. Carl A. Alcott, a student of North Park College, serving as pastor. Three years later the congregation built a red-brick building at the corner of Bell and Kensington Avenues, and held its first service at this location on Sunday, November 28, 1909.
During the first twenty years of the church’s life it could not afford a full time pastor, therefore the pastorate was often served by students from North Park College. In 1923, the church hired its first full-time pastor, George Bostrom.
In 1942, the church sent out its first missionaries, Mel and Glenna Nelson to work under Rural Bible Mission in Michigan. Ten years later Larry and Kathryn McNeill were sent out as our first foreign missionaries to the Mali Republic of South Africa. Local and foreign missionary activity continues to be an important ministry for LaGrange Bible Church.
Also in 1942, the church severed its affiliation with the Evangelical Mission Covenant denomination and became an independent Bible church. In April 1950, the church officially changed its name to LaGrange Bible Church.
In the late 1950s, the church outgrew its fifty-year old building and built the first unit of the building at 51st Street and Sixth Avenue. The first service at this location was on December 7, 1958.
From the mid 1950's through the 1970's, the church maintained a radio broadcast over WTAQ in LaGrange achieving wide acceptance as an evangelistic and inspirational ministry.
The current church location has undergone several building additions:
1963 Sanctuary expansion
1982 Educational wing addition
2007 Community Life Center addition and new south lobby
In the ensuing years, LaGrange Bible Church has ministered to its members and the community through many programs including Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, Bible studies, Community Life Groups, Christians in Recovery support groups, Awana and Pioneer Girls youth clubs, Jr. and Sr. High youth groups, Golden Fellowship, children’s and adult choirs, and women’s and men’s ministries, as well as Wednesday prayer meetings and Sunday Worship services.
Today, LaGrange Bible Church continues to provide seven days a week ministry to the community, both in sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ and in providing discipleship and biblically based teaching.
We praise God for his faithfulness through the many years of ministering in the western suburban communities.